Blog


FROM OUR ARCHIVES

RSS Feed

Home

Posts By Category

American Legion Post 43 (2) Articles (1) ASC (1) Barnsdall Park (1) BLACKOUTS (3) Brown Derby Restaurant (10) Charles Chaplin Studio (1) Charles E. Toberman (1) Chinese Theater (13) Ciro's Nightclub (3) Cirque du Soleil (1) Cocoanut Grove (1) Coconut Grove (7) Crossroads of the World (1) Earl Carroll Theater (2) Ernest Torrence (1) Farmers Market (2) Garden of Allah (1) Garden of Allah Hotel Photos (9) Gay Pride Parade (1) Gilmore Stadium (1) Grauman's Chinese Theater (2) Grauman's Egyptian Theater (2) Griffith Observatory (3) Hancock Park & Windsor Square (1) Hand and Footprint ceremonies (2) Hollywood (8) Hollywood Airfields (3) Hollywood Athletic Club (1) Hollywood Blvd. (11) Hollywood Bowl (10) Hollywood Canteen (41) Hollywood Canteen Book (2) Hollywood Fire Dept. (1) Hollywood Guild and Canteen (3) Hollywood Historic Places (1) Hollywood History (4) Hollywood Hotels (3) Hollywood Images (17) Hollywood Legion Stadium (2) Hollywood Nightclubs (4) Hollywood Oil (1) Hollywood Palladium (6) Hollywood Photographs (8) Hollywood Photos (33) Hollywood Pictures (16) Hollywood Police Dept. (1) Hollywood Radio (1) Hollywood Real Estate Developments (1) Hollywood Restaurants (6) Hollywood School For Girls (2) Hollywood Sign (32) Hollywood Sign History (6) Hollywood Stars Baseball Team (3) Hollywood Studio Club (3) Hollywood Television (1) Hollywood Theaters (4) Hollywood Walk of Fame (42) Hollywoodland (2) Hollywood's Anniversary (1) Ken Murray's Blackouts (1) Larchmont Village (1) Laurel Canyon (6) Magic Castle (1) Millennium Hollywood (1) Mocambo Nightclub (2) Moulin Rouge (1) Movie Making (6) Movie Palaces (1) Movie Premieres (1) Movie Studios (20) New Photographs (1) Outpost Estates (1) Pan Pacific Auditorium (2) Pantages Theater (2) Parades (2) Paramount Studio (1) Paul DeLongpre (3) Pilgrimage Play (3) Pinterest (1) Poverty Row & Gower Gulch (2) Radio and Television (2) Republic Studios (1) Restaurants/Nightclubs (7) Runyon Canyon (2) Santa Claus Lane Parade (3) Santa Claus Lane Parade Photos (1) Schwab's Pharmacy (9) Sid Grauman (1) Sunset Blvd. (5) The Hollywood Canteen Book (1) Valentino (1) VJ Day (2) Walk of Fame (20) Wallich's Music City (2) Whitley Heights (1) William & Kate (1) Yamashiro Hollywood (1)

Posts By Month

American Society of Cinematographers Clubhouse

fghn

American  Society of Cinematographers Clubhouse

The land in Hollywood upon which the American Society of Cinematographer’s Clubhouse now stands was originally part ofthe old Spanish Grant known as Rancho La Brea. In the year 1887, Horace H. Wilcox, and his wife, Daeida, purchased120acres at the corner of Prospect Ave. and Cahuenga.  It was Daeida who is responsible for naming Hollywood.

Finally E. C. Hurd, a wealthy miner, came from Colorado and bought acreage at the corner of Wilcox and Hollywood Blvd. H. J. Whitley bought the old Hurd place in 1900 and laid out what was known as the Ocean View tracts, extending north of Hollywood Boulevard on to Highland Avenue and beyond. In those days the term "Ocean View Tract" was quite appropriate because one could see the ocean some ten miles away.

Clubhouse  Built

The Los Angeles Pacific Boulevard and Development Company built a house on Lot 7, Block 2 of the Hollywood Ocean View Tract #2 in the architectural style called "Modern Mission". The house was across Franklin Ave. from the Rolin Lane residence, which is now the Magic Castle. The house plan was like that of a Spanish hacienda in that all the rooms opened off a central patio. This "patio" however was completely enclosed and was actually a great central room with imposing pillars. A series of people owned tis home from 1903 until 1910 when it was sold to Mr. James Henry Brown of Salt Lake City. Mr. Brown purchased this property for his ailing wife as a retreat from the severe winters of Utah.

cgjk

James Creighton Brown

He persuaded his son, James Creighton Brown, to take his wife Flora and baby daughter Barbara to live here with Mrs. James Henry Brown. The elder Mrs. Brown died in 1916, but the Creighton Browns remained in the house until 1923. Mrs. Creighton Brown was a beautiful and gracious lady who was very active in the social and cultural affairs of the community. The home became the setting for many receptions for musical and art gatherings. Friends and relatives from Salt Lake City would often be house guests for weeks at a time. This was gracious living.

srth

Old Hollywood Photos

Old photographs reveal that the center section of the home under the glass dome was filled with tropical plants. The front porch, which had originally spanned the front of the house, was enclosed on the South side to form a keeping room or a summer sleeping porch. There were four bedrooms, a parlor and a study up in the cupola. The house had an ample dining room, butler's pantry and large kitchen. Fireplaces provided a cheery warmth on cold days. Comfortable servants quarters were provided in the basement area.  About three blocks away was the Outpost Estates developed by Charles E. Toberman. Many of these old Hollywood photos can be found on the hollywoodphotographs.com website.

In 1922, the Creighton Browns bought a new residence at 6626 Sunset Blvd. and the "Modern Mission" was sold to Conway Tearle, a prominent motion picture leading man of those days. Tearle and his wife, Adèle Rowland, used to entertain here with lavish receptions. During those years he remodeled the house and put a fountain into the "patio" area and many of the elite film world gathered around it for the lavish parties.

Tearle and his estate retained ownership of the property until the Mortgage Guaranty Company acquired it at a foreclosure sale in 1935.

j.kbgfv

ASC Buy A New Clubhouse

The American Society of Cinematographers had owned a suite of offices in the Guaranty Building, on Hollywood Blvd. The mortgage company had acquired all the other offices and prevailed on the Society to sell their unit for $20,000 so that they could own the building outright.  In 1936, the American Society of Cinematographers purchase the building on the SE corner of Franklin Ave. and Orange Dr. and made it their clubhouse.  The building is just a block north of Grauman’s Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd.

The hollywoodphotographs.com website has several historic photos of the Society’s clubhouse.

 

Post a Comment