Blog


FROM OUR ARCHIVES

RSS Feed

Home

Posts By Category

American Legion Post 43 (2) Articles (1) ASC (1) Barnsdall Park (1) BLACKOUTS (3) Brown Derby Restaurant (10) Charles Chaplin Studio (1) Charles E. Toberman (1) Chinese Theater (13) Ciro's Nightclub (3) Cirque du Soleil (1) Cocoanut Grove (1) Coconut Grove (7) Crossroads of the World (1) Earl Carroll Theater (2) Ernest Torrence (1) Farmers Market (2) Garden of Allah (1) Garden of Allah Hotel Photos (9) Gay Pride Parade (1) Gilmore Stadium (1) Grauman's Chinese Theater (2) Grauman's Egyptian Theater (2) Griffith Observatory (3) Hancock Park & Windsor Square (1) Hand and Footprint ceremonies (2) Hollywood (8) Hollywood Airfields (3) Hollywood Athletic Club (1) Hollywood Blvd. (11) Hollywood Bowl (10) Hollywood Canteen (41) Hollywood Canteen Book (2) Hollywood Fire Dept. (1) Hollywood Guild and Canteen (3) Hollywood Historic Places (1) Hollywood History (4) Hollywood Hotels (3) Hollywood Images (17) Hollywood Legion Stadium (2) Hollywood Nightclubs (4) Hollywood Oil (1) Hollywood Palladium (6) Hollywood Photographs (8) Hollywood Photos (33) Hollywood Pictures (16) Hollywood Police Dept. (1) Hollywood Radio (1) Hollywood Real Estate Developments (1) Hollywood Restaurants (6) Hollywood School For Girls (2) Hollywood Sign (32) Hollywood Sign History (6) Hollywood Stars Baseball Team (3) Hollywood Studio Club (3) Hollywood Television (1) Hollywood Theaters (4) Hollywood Walk of Fame (42) Hollywoodland (2) Hollywood's Anniversary (1) Ken Murray's Blackouts (1) Larchmont Village (1) Laurel Canyon (6) Magic Castle (1) Millennium Hollywood (1) Mocambo Nightclub (2) Moulin Rouge (1) Movie Making (6) Movie Palaces (1) Movie Premieres (1) Movie Studios (20) New Photographs (1) Outpost Estates (1) Pan Pacific Auditorium (2) Pantages Theater (2) Parades (2) Paramount Studio (1) Paul DeLongpre (3) Pilgrimage Play (3) Pinterest (1) Poverty Row & Gower Gulch (2) Radio and Television (2) Republic Studios (1) Restaurants/Nightclubs (7) Runyon Canyon (2) Santa Claus Lane Parade (3) Santa Claus Lane Parade Photos (1) Schwab's Pharmacy (9) Sid Grauman (1) Sunset Blvd. (5) The Hollywood Canteen Book (1) Valentino (1) VJ Day (2) Walk of Fame (20) Wallich's Music City (2) Whitley Heights (1) William & Kate (1) Yamashiro Hollywood (1)

Posts By Month

Pilgrimage Play photos

dffg

Pilgrimage Play

The largest collection of Pilgrimage Play photos is on the hollywoodphotographs.com website. When Mrs. Christine Witherill Stevenson withdrew from the Hollywood Bowl in 1920, she was intent on promoting her religious place. She purchased a 29 acre Canyon across the Cahuenga Pass from the Hollywood Bowl. After building a crude structure, which was later to develop into the beautiful Pilgrimage Play Theater, Mrs. Stevenson journeyed to the holy land to obtain authentic fabrics, utensils, and props. She wrote the entire play from her translation of the four Gospels according to the King James version of the Bible. The first performance of the Pilgrimage Play was held on June 27, 1920, with Henry Herbert starring as Jesus of Nazareth. Performances were given every summer in the original structure, until it was destroyed by fire on October 24, 1929. The elevated seating at the mouth of the canyon, and realistic replicas of essential scenes from the holy land, were constructed and elaborately illuminated under the direction of Mr. Reid. During the eight weeks of the summer of 1920, the drama of the life of Christ was produced under the stars. Jesus of Nazareth was portrayed by Henry Herbert, for the first four weeks, until he was forced to return to New York. His most capable understudy, Reginald Pole, took his place as Christ. Many fine actors per trade Jesus over the years, but none for as long as Nelson Leigh, who held the role for over 15 years.

fyikjg

Mrs. Stevenson’s Passing

Mrs. Stevenson's objective had been achieved and a beautiful tradition had begun that was to continue long after her untimely death just two years later. When Mrs. Stevenson passed away in 1922, Hollywood was stunned. As a memorial to this fine lady, four of Hollywood's residents caused a 40 foot lighted cross to be erected atop a hill alongside the Pilgrimage Theater. Dedicated on July 8, 1923, the cross, which was built of structural steel and covered with concrete, was the joint effort of George L. Eastman, C.E. Toberman, William Lee Woolet and Mrs. Chauncey Clark.

fhj

New Theater

A new theater, with seating capacity of 1312 was built of concrete in ancient Judaism architecture and the play reopened in 1931. It continued until 1940, when war conditions caused brief interruptions. During the war, the dressing room sections were converted into dormitories, where hundreds of servicemen slept during visits to Hollywood.

The play was continued after the war and continued until the last performance in 1964. Renamed the John Anson Ford County cultural arts theater in commemoration of Ford's 24 years service as County supervisor of the third district of Los Angeles, the theater now houses the Los Angeles Shakespeare Festival.

rthb

Photo Collection

The largest collection of Pilgrimage Play photos is on the hollywoodphotographs.com website. All the photos are available for purchase.  Other photos on the hollywoodphotographs.com website include, Hollywood Canteen, Movie Studios and Hollywood Blvd.

Post a Comment