Schools


The closest school to the Cahuenga Valley throughout most of the 1880s was the one-room Cienega School, four miles overland without roads at Pico Boulevard and La Brea Avenue. The Cahuenga School district was formed in 1876, and a schoolhouse was built at the corner of Normandie Avenue and Beverly Boulevard. It too, ahd become inadequate by 1881, and the district was divided again to form the Pass School District. While a three-room school was under construction, on the south side of Sunset near Gordon Street, classes sere held in the home of William Beesemyer. They wee taught wy Mary Gower, daughter of John and Mary Gower who had arrived from Hawaii twelve years earlier. The Laurel School District built a one-room schoolhouse in 1886 in West Hollywood, and a year later the Los Feliz School District was organized and a two-room school with a tower was built at the northwest corner of Los Feliz Boulevard and Vermont Avenue. A few years later the student body moved to a new school at Hollywood Boulevard and New Hampshire Avenue. Following a fire in 1914, which all but destroyed the school, new building were constructed. After the 1932 earthquake rendered the school buildings unsafe, they were torn down and replaced with new modern structures.


The graduates of Cahuenga Valley grammar schools went to Los Angeles High School or Santa Monica High School at their own expense.


Hollywood Union High School District was formed in 1903, uniting the Cahuenga, Laurel, Coldwater, Sherman, Los Feliz, Lankersheim and Pass grammar school districts. In September, the Hollywood Union High School opened in temporary quarters in one of the storage rooms on the ground floor of the new Masonic Temple located on the west side of Highland Avenue, north of Prospect Avenue.


Thirty pupils were enrolled in the school, which had James O. Churchill as its first principal. By spring, there were fifty and before the close of the first year, seventy-five were in attendance.


The cornerstone of Hollywood Union High School, which later dropped the word Union, was laid at the corner of Sunset Blvd. and Highland Ave. on November 23, 1904. Students tethered their horses on what is no the athletic field, and a lemon grove on the west side of the school provided quite a different aroma from that created by today’s Sunset Boulevard traffic.


Grant School and Fremont School, now Selma Avenue School, began construction while Hollywood High School was being built and as Hollywood’s population grew, these grammar schools expanded. Three months after Los Angeles took Hollywood under its wing, the Gardner Street School was established at the southeast corner of Gardner and Hawthorne avenues.


Private schools also helped lift the burden from public education. In April 1905, the Sisters of Immaculate Heart of Mary broke ground in a mustard field at Western and Franklin Avenues, for a motherhouse, novitiate, and girls high school. The three story building, which included classrooms and a dormitory, as of Mission-Moorish design with a rd roof, arched porticos, and gleaming gold crosses. The school became and immediate success, drawing students from all over Southern California as well as some foreign countries, In 1908, Immaculate Heart High School became the first private school in Southern California to receive college accreditation, ans since its founding, the school and graduated more than 6000 students.


Another fine private school was he Hollywood School for Girls, located at 1749 North La Brea Avenue. Founded in 1909, the school achieved a high academic standing in the college preparitory work, registering as many as 225 students. Among its illustrious students were Misses Agnes DeMille, Katherine DeMille, Harlean Carpenter (later Jean Harlow), Dorothy Sills, Catherine Toberman and Mrs. David Selznick. Other great photos of Hollywood photos are of Movie Making.

Click to Enlarge
Bancroft Jr. High School
Click to Enlarge
Bancroft Jr. High School
Click to Enlarge
Students at Cahuenga Township School aat Normandie & Beverly Blvds.
Click to Enlarge
Students at Cahuenga Township School at Bevrly & Normandie Blvds.
SchoolsBancroft Jr. High School
SC-001-1
1929
SchoolsBancroft Jr. High School
SC-001-2
1934
SchoolsStudents at Cahuenga Township School aat Normandie & Beverly Blvds.
SC-003-1
1880
SchoolsStudents at Cahuenga Township School at Bevrly & Normandie Blvds.
SC-003-2
1878
Click to Enlarge
Students at Cahuenga Township School
Click to Enlarge
Cheremoya School at Franklin Ave. & Beachwood Ave.
Click to Enlarge
Aerial of Cheremoya School at Franklin Ave. & Beachwood Ave.
Click to Enlarge
Cheremoya School at Franklin & Beachwood Aves.
SchoolsStudents at Cahuenga Township School
SC-003-3
1884
SchoolsCheremoya School at Franklin Ave. & Beachwood Ave.
SC-004-1
1923
SchoolsAerial of Cheremoya School at Franklin Ave. & Beachwood Ave.
SC-004-2
1925
SchoolsCheremoya School at Franklin & Beachwood Aves.
SC-004-3
1934
Click to Enlarge
Fairfax High School
Click to Enlarge
Fairfax High School
Click to Enlarge
Gardener School at 1542 Gardener St
Click to Enlarge
Grant School
SchoolsFairfax High School
SC-005-1
1932
SchoolsFairfax High School
SC-005-2
1935
SchoolsGardener School at 1542 Gardener St
SC-006-2
1925
SchoolsGrant School
SC-007-1
1907